Friday, July 07, 2017

Art Gallery: The Ides of March


The Ides of March (1999)
acrylics, spray paint and correction fluid on canvas, 18" x 24"

Here's one of my acrylics paintings from 1999, which was a very prolific artistic year for me. I had a lot of fun creating these pieces, making a big mess in the basement of the large student house I was living in at the time. The design owes much to Jackson Pollack and abstract expressionism, with a keen sense of using swift lines and varied textures The "liquid paper" on the top layer has always reminded me of a samurai warrior pose. Maybe it's just me.

My 2003 description from my old arts website: "By calling it "The Ides of March," I wanted to tie this piece into St. Patrick's Day; another holiday painting in the tradition of 1999 and Valentines' Day 1999 and Easter 1999. Obviously the white and green (spring) and gold (beer, of course) lends itself well to the seasonal theme."

No comments: