Saturday, July 08, 2017

Art Gallery: You Know, You're a Nice Girl, But You're as Dumb as a Bag of Rocks


You Know, You're a Nice Girl, But You're as Dumb as a Bag of Rocks (2001)
Watercolors and correction fluid on canvas, 18" x 24"

Continuing through our "Watercanvas" series, this 2000 piece uses warm color tones and simpler layering than some of the more complex paintings. The "liquid paper" is used largely to diffuse with the water, leaving the surreal patterns on top. I think there are also some chunks of watercolor paint that did not completely dissolve, adding a bit of texture to the canvas. This sort of thing is much easier to do with acrylics, of course, but I probably just did it to prove that it could be done.

If memory serves, I sold this painting on the streets of downtown Minneapolis. I actually sold quite a few paintings that way, certainly more than I did at gallery shows and art fairs. Oh, well.

No comments: